[Zope] Configuring ZOPE to use Apache users

Gunther H.Weber Gunther.Weber at gmx.net
Tue Jul 20 11:25:46 EDT 2004

Hello everyone,

I am trying to configure ZOPE to accept users authenticated by an
Apache web server. (Mainly because I need to use a homebrew
authentication service for which an Apache module is provided and
maintained.) So far I have set up Apache (2.0.46) to access ZOPE
(2.6.0) via FastCGI (as I couldn't get PCGI to run). The documentation
in doc/WEBSERVER.txt explains how to set up Apache authentication via
PCGI, but doesn't mention FastCGI in that paragraph. Is it at all
possible to set up ZOPE to use remote users FastCGI? How would one do
this. One of my problems is that the original server was set up by
someone else and I need to make changes to the existing configuration.
One problem may be that I did not find a file "access" in ZOPE's "var"
directory. Naively I tried to create one containing just the name of a
valid username on the Apache server folowed by a colon, in hope that
Zope would use that. Still, I get two authentication requests, one by
Apache and one by ZOPE. Where, except in the "var" directory could the
"access" file reside? Any other ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Gunther Weber