[Zope] Proper zope install method + eventual use at port 80

Steven Hodgen shodgen at solomonschool.com
Wed Jul 21 15:55:59 EDT 2004

I'm somewhat confused.  The default install location for Zope is /opt.  In
order to install here, you must do it via root.  The only thing I've done as
root, is 'sudo make install', since I must.  Now, the installation tutorial
on 'plope.org', recommends doing it this way, although it is true that the
INSTALL.txt file in doc/ does recommend not installing as root, but the
default location would seem to indicate otherwise.  I've seen references to
installing to /usr/local, and a user's /home.  Please understand that I'm
not a linux expert.  I have, however, been a software engineer for years,
since '80, but only recently have I started exploring linux.  At this point,
the proper method for utilizing the linux directory hierarchy is a bit of a
mystery.  All I know is that I want to install Zope in a way which is most
consistent with the intent of Linux Filesystem Hierarchy "standard?", which
is somewhat unclear as to where third party software should be installed.
It seems that /usr/local and /opt are valid locations, with /opt being,
perhaps, primary.  That being the case, /opt would seem a very reasonable
place to put Zope, although based on this standard Zope's log files should
be somewhere in /var/log, and it's data files somewhere else in /var, since
the data changes via ZMI?  Please overlook what may be obvious ignorance.
You may well feel that Installing and running Zope is not the best tutorial
for a linux newbie, but that's how I learn everything.  I just jump in with
both feet.  I want a secure system, and perhaps 8080 is good for now, but I
would want to be able to easily change to 80 without having to reinstall
Zope, etc.

Based on some reading, I was under the impression that it was ok to run Zope
as root, since it automatically  lowered it's user status to the one in
zope.cfg after performing some root required initializations.

Ok, I'm finished displaying my newbie status, at least for the moment.  :-)

Thanks for your help and patience.

--Steven