[Zope] No-cache

kosh kosh at aesaeion.com
Wed Jul 28 00:13:24 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 7:18 pm, Joe Goldthwaite wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been trying to get a new navigation system working that uses cookies
> to change what data is viewed. Because of the way the system works, I want
> to force a page refresh every time a page is displayed.  If the user
> presses the back button, I want to refresh the page.  If I use JavaScript
> to go back two pages, I want the pages refreshed.

Caching has nothing to do with the back button. You can tell it not to cache
in any way you want but a properly written browser will ignore all of that
for the back button. The back button is supposed to bring back whatever was
on that page when it hit it just recently. Just like undo/redo operations. If
your app design is based on hitting back and having the page refresh then
your app design is broken and will not truly work. You might be able to put
some hacks on a page with javascript that might cause it to reload but I
don't know how you would really do it.

Nothing about zope changes this since it is how browsers are supposed to work.
Either make the app work when people hit the back button or tell them that
using that will break things on the site and provide other ways to navigate
so that the back button never needs to be pressed.