[Zope] Re: type in python scripts

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 03:51:03 EDT 2004

David A. Riggs wrote:
> Some of the security restrictions that Zope imposes on developers
> seem completely arbitrary to me.

That's why they're there. When you understand why they're there, you'll
understand why they're there ;-)

> to keep from exhausting memory, but why on earth can't I ask
> for an object's type?

because type(x) returns the type object used to create x, which apparently isn't
safe, and although I don't know the details, it's something I can believe...
That's why there's the (probably underdocumented) sametype (or is that same_type
?) function...

> What I'd really like is to be able to turn off Zope's fascist
> security "features" in certain cases.

I'm sure I saw some deeply buried and not-documented feature that would let you
do this.

That said, a stanza in zope.conf allowing you to tailor the security policy
would be welcome, but is there anyone for whom there is enough of an itch here
to scratch?

> Any chance that Zope3 will allow an administrator to tailor
> how "locked down" a Zope installation (or instance) is?

EVERYTHING is configurable in Zope 3, allegedly, but I get the impression it
involves a lot of learning from scratch right now...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk