[Zope] Problems migrating from CGI to Apache proxying

Kirk Strauser kirk at daycos.com
Wed Jun 2 12:36:00 EDT 2004

I'm upgrading a FreeBSD 5-CURRENT server to run Zope 2.7 from 2.6.  My old
setup used a lot of RewriteRules to shunt requests to Zope.cgi, but I've
seen the light and have migrated almost all of my sites to use Apache's
reverse proxying instead.

My problem is that I have a couple of sites where Zope handles the root
directory, but other applications (mainly in PHP) serve particular
subdirectories.  For example, I have something like:

    # Audio stuff
    RewriteRule ^/audio$ - [l]
    RewriteRule ^/audio/ - [l]

    # Squirrelmail
    RewriteRule ^/squirrel/ - [l]
    RewriteRule ^/squirrel$ - [l]

    # Mailman
    RewriteRule ^/mailman/ - [l]
    RewriteRule ^/mailman$ - [l]
    RewriteRule ^/pipermail/ - [l]
    RewriteRule ^/pipermail$ - [l]

    RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization}  ^(.*)
    RewriteRule^/Example.com(.*) /usr/local/www/cgi-bin.default/Zope.cgi/Example.com$1 [e=HTTP_CGI_AUTHORIZATION:%2,t=application/x-httpd-cgi,l]

I need to do something similar in my new setup.  How, then, can I tell
Apache to use ProxyPass for the root directory in those domains, but ignore
a list of subdirectories that should be served from the local filesystem?
--
Kirk Strauser
The Day Companies