[Zope] Invoking an executable from zope

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Mon Jun 7 12:39:11 EDT 2004

On Monday 07 June 2004 04:31 am, Kailashnath_Ganesan wrote:
> I also tried to use an external method, but am not able to do so. Zope
> hangs and I am not able to restart it without restarting the machine.

Sorry I missed this. You should assume you have a bug in your code that
is hanging the machine.  Test it thoroughly outside of Zope before
attempting to use it.  Zope can only be hanging because your code isn't
returning (ISTM).  Are you using an extension library for Python (i.e.
could the hang be happening inside of a C library call?).

External methods are well-tested and it's pretty arbitrary what you
can execute -- I have run external programs via os.system() from them
without incident (e.g. for image processing or generation).

Cheers,
Terry