[Zope] External http access.

Ben Last (Zope) zope at benlast.com
Thu Jun 10 03:18:59 EDT 2004

Okay, this is one of those times to ask the list rather than try and work it
out... :)

The HOWTO at http://www.zope.org/Members/Amos/XML-RPC assures me that
methods like objectIds should be accessible via http access, as in
http://mysite.com/Container/objectIds, yet this patently does not work (at
least in my site), even with appropriate authentication provided in the URL.
The result is the notorious "object does not have a docstring" error.  At
least one comment by Dieter
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.plone.archetypes.devel/2800)
suggests that this error is actually a "not found" response, and *also*
appears to suggest that actions methods are not callable, unless wrapped
(though I may well have understood the meaning of the term "action id").

The article
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=b1tu76%24ht
6%241%40norfair.nerim.net also states that objectIds isn't accessible via
xmlrpc and needs a wrapper.

Whether via plain old http or xmlrpc, I can't get methods like objectIds to
work.  I can, of course, use the ZMI manage_ methods via http to do what I
need, but that's not amazingly convenient, since any errors are delivered
back in HTML intended for a human, and I need to use tricks like modifying
the standard_error_message template so that I can detect a given string and
spot that an error's being flagged.

There must be something I'm missing here...

ben