[Zope] can't install external editor, help

Jim Washington jwashin at vt.edu
Fri Jun 11 07:12:44 EDT 2004

aamehl wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to install the helper app of the external editor program,
> when I run install I get an error:ImportError: No module named
> distutils.core.
>
> I guessed that distutils.core was contained in the python-dev package so
> I did an apt-get install python2.3-dev.
> But still the same error. Then I installed python-dev with no better
> results.
>

> Anyone out there can tell me what I am missing?

 From the command prompt, start python.  You will get something like
this.  Note the python version, right after the word Python.

bash-2.05b$ python
Python 2.3.4 (#1, Jun  4 2004, 17:07:44)
[GCC 3.3.3 20040412 (Gentoo Linux 3.3.3-r5, ssp-3.3-7, pie-8.7.5.3)] on
linux2

Try to import distutils.

 >>> import distutils

To be really sure, try this.

 >>> import distutils.core

If you do not get an error, you should be able to install the external
editor helper app.  You are doing something else wrong.

But you might get the following error.

 >>> import distutils
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named distutils

In this case, install the python***-dev package for the python version.
For the external editor helper app, it does not have to be the version
of python that zope runs on.

If this does not work, give us a step-by-step of what you see happening.

-- Jim Washington