[Zope] Zope, Squid and manage_workspace

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Sun Jun 13 18:01:28 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 17:14, Robb Shecter wrote:
> Which makes me wonder; why does Zope do this in the first place?  Why isn't
> its default behavior to only create relative URLs that won't have the
> hostname and port in them?  Why does it, by default, insert the BASE tag with
> a hostname and port number into documents?

It's a long and gory story.  The general idea is that, because only Zope
knows whether a traversed object is "containerish", the request URL
doesn't end with a slash, it needs some way to tell the browser how to
render relative URLs in the context of the returned output.

The best detailed explanation I know of as to why the BASE tag is the
only sane solution without redirects is here:

http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-coders/2001-November/000460.html

A saner way would be to cause a redirect to a slash-ending name when a
containerish object is displayed, but no one has stepped up to make this
a possibility.

- C