[Zope] Using Apache rewrite to server Zope/Plone - VirtualHostMonster and / or SiteAccess?

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Thu Jun 17 10:47:41 EDT 2004

On 17 Jun 2004, at 11:12, Cormac McClean wrote:

> Using Apache with ZServer (NOT Zope.cgi)

FWIW, I used the instructions found at
<http://zope.org/Members/anser/apache_zserver> to configure the proxy
pass module for an Apache virtual host. I have not touched the virtual
host monster and don't have any great plans to ever use it. In your
case, you'd configure Apache so that
erebus.ait.ie just maps through to the appropriate folder in Zope.

<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName erebus.ait.ie

ProxyPass / http://erebus.ait.ie:8080/pathToRootForSite/
ProxyPassReverse / http://erebus.ait.ie:8080/pathToRootForSite/

  </VirtualHost>

You do need to setup the proxypass module in Apache of course.

I've read a post or two about how this is all a security concern but
reading mod_proxy's docs
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_proxy.html>, the worry seems to
be with the ProxyRequests directive which is off by default. If you
allow ProxyPass and the sister ProxyPassReverse directives on a per
(virtual) host basis, you should to be OK - even more so as your server
is an internal one.

HTH

Simon Forster