[Zope] Zope 2.7.0 crash on FreeBSD 5.2

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Fri Jun 18 08:40:41 EDT 2004

> FreeBSD fans won't agree, for sure. So whether there's an ultimate success
> story on the issue, please share your top notch measures. (Not wanting to
> start a flame war here.)

We have been running Zope on FreeBSD (4.x) for the past 4+ years and never
had any real problems.  Our largest instance averages around 6 req/sec and
the ZODB is 2-3GB.  Yes the stack size was an issue, but that was easily
fixed.  We also noted some threading issues when packing a
DirectoryStorage database.  I have worked arond them by compiling python
against LinuxThreads.  This was for python 2.1.3 and Zope 2.6, and some
initial tests seem to suggest the newer pythons may not have the same
issue.

We occasionally see crashes, but nothing regular, possibly once a month or
so.  We deal with it by running multiple ZEO clients and pound in front.
If one goes, then the other takes the load.  We have lots and lots of
custom code, and third party products, so I'm not really surprised by
this.  This is more useful for restarting Zope when updating products etc.

We don't run FreeBSD 5.x yet, so I can't comment on that.  I know that the
threading is all different, whether this helps or harms python on SMP
systems, I don't yet know.

-Matt

Matt Hamilton                                         matth at netsight.co.uk
Netsight Internet Solutions, Ltd.          Business Vision on the Internet
http://www.netsight.co.uk                               +44 (0)117 9090901
Web Design | Zope/Plone Development and Consulting | Co-location | Hosting