[Zope] RE: [Zope-dev] Prohibiting Spams on the List

Joe Block jpb at ApesSeekingKnowledge.net
Sat Jun 19 23:05:47 EDT 2004

On Jun 15, 2004, at 8:41 PM, Tim Peters wrote:

> [Mohsen Moeeni]
>> Fristly excuse me for cross-posting. Actually, I did not like to be
>> the
>> person who comes this up however the amount of spams which is
>> propagated
>> thru the lists is annoying. I wonder why the guys at Zope Inc. does
>> not
>> tweak the list settings so posting is only allowed by the members.
>
> Perhaps just the weight of history, and/or trying to keep the barriers
> participation as low as possible.  Speaking as zodb-dev's list admin,
> I'd be
> happy to restrict posting to members, *if* people don't object to the
> idea.
> I spend an increasingly resented part of each day doing list-admin
> triage
> (for zodb-dev and about 6 other mailing lists).
>
> A predictable irritation is that Mailman's answer to "member?" is
> based on
> the posting's sender's email address, but many people post from more
> than
> one account.  If you want the default action for non-member posts to be
> "hold for review", I won't do it -- I can't afford the additional time
> sink.
> "reject" is the no-manual-intervention default action, but it would
> place a
> new burden on members posting from non-member accounts (their posts
> would be
> rejected, at least until they asked the list admin to add their other
> posting accounts to Mailman's list of non-members to accept -- and they
> would need to do that on a per-list basis).

They can just subscribe their other addresses and set them nomail in
the mailman interface. Things have gotten out of hand, I don't think
it's possible to run a mailing list that allows nonmember posting any
more.

That said, could the reject message be set to include text saying
something to the effect of "spammers make it impossible to allow
non-members to post to this list. Please go to ____ to sign up your
address and resend your message. If you already have an address
subscribed to the list, go sign this one up and set it nomail in the
mailman interface"

jpb
- -- Joe Block <jpb at apesseekingknowledge.net>

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of
the people by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by
violent and sudden usurpations."
  - James Madison, 1798