[Zope] "Too many open files" - New Zope Installation

Sean Hardman Sean.Hardman at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 22 13:04:31 EDT 2004

I have a new installation of Zope on a Solaris machine with the
following software versions:

Solaris 2.9
Python 2.3.4
Zope 2.7.0
Plone 2.0.3

Error messages similar to the following crop up in a relatively short
amount of time:

2004-06-21T15:59:03 ERROR(200) SiteError http://test:8080/cio/favicon.ico/inde
x_html
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/opt/Zope-2.7/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py", line 100, in publish
   File "/opt/Zope-2.7/lib/python/ZPublisher/mapply.py", line 88, in mapply
   File "/opt/Zope-2.7/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py", line 40, in
call_object
   File "/opt/zope/Products/CMFCore/FSFile.py", line 91, in index_html
   File "/opt/zope/Products/CMFCore/FSObject.py", line 115, in _updateFromFS
   File "/opt/zope/Products/CMFCore/FSFile.py", line 69, in _readFile
IOError: [Errno 24] Too many open files:
'/opt/zope/Products/CMFPlone/skins/plon
e_images/favicon.ico'

I have increased the max descriptors to 1024 which only delays the
problem by a couple of minutes. Oddly enough the problem clears
itself after three hours of minimal use otherwise I have to restart
to clear it. Any suggestions, obvious or otherwise, would be greatly
appreciated.

Sean