[Zope] Can I using zope's functions outside zope?

Jerome R. Westrick jerry at westrick.com
Wed Jun 23 17:12:05 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 06:17, Gilbert Fine wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to zope. I wish I can use the power functions in zope, such as ZPT,
> outside zope, because I am not used to writing program in a browser. I want
> to use vi and other tools right in the server.
> My idea is: I write a special module in python, simulating the zope server.
> Then I write web programs as CGI, but the code is almost the same as if I
> were using zope directly. These CGI use ZPT and DB Connection object in
> zope. I feel very comfortable using the vi, cvs, subversion, make and all
> other nice and familiar tools. When those CGI program are somewhat stable, I
> can copy the code in to zope, and then maintain the code in zope from then
> on.
>
> Is there a simple way to do that? Or it is just a stupid idea?

The answer is that is not a stupid Idea.  Writting code in the browser
is very convinient for quick patches and extreemely anoying when you are
at it for more than 30 mins.

But since it's an obvious problem some one beat you to the solution!

Install ExternalEditor Zope Package.
Once setup, you can click on a Zope Object, and your vi Editor will
pop-up for you to edit it.
When you quit vi, the new code is copied back to Zope.

It's not perfect, but it's way above the web-editor, and that what you
proposed!

Jerry