[Zope] Joel On Software - Good strategic article

Heimo Laukkanen huima at iki.fi
Thu Jun 24 15:38:02 EDT 2004

>> From: Ng Pheng Siong <ngps at netmemetic.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Zope] Joel On Software - Good strategic article
>> To: Max M <maxm at mxm.dk>
>> Cc: zope at zope.org

>> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/APIWar.html
>> If you read between the lines it's also a pointer to why Z3 is an
>> important step to get right.
>
> Also, there is this book entitled, "In search of stupidity: 20 years of
> high-tech marketing disasters".

Rewrites themselves are not something that are absolute evil, but rather
necessity in certain times and places. And I for one agree that there is
and has been for long - a need for better version of Zope.

Zope 2 has been great because of the ecosystem of products and tools that
have helped a lot of people to get fast starts into developing
applications before the Z-shaped learningcurve has punched in - and
developer has had to cry for gods, gurus or both.

For Zope to be a viable development tool and platform for web
applications, transition to Zope 3 is a must - since the benefits of Zope
2 as a platform are running short while new tools and frameworks without
the baggage of history get more and more developers to join in and commit
to their mindsets.

There are extremely smart people and good programmers working on Zope 3 to
make it a better tool for developers. Every time I see presentation about
the progress I get excited about the possibilities and wait for the
possibility to run Plone in Zope 3 and develope applications with Zope 3
patterns, without Zope 2 cruft.

But I am a practical developer and not looking forward spending my time
with learning something that will not fly or will for ever be a minority
player. I want to stand on the shoulders of giants and use robust
components and frameworks made by people that are smarter than me.

I have faith in the people putting their time on Zope 3, and I have faith
on the possibility to make the transition to Z3 in a fashion that does not
alienate those that matter: developers.

http://www.plope.com/Members/chrism/zope3_dilemma#comments

--
-huima