[Zope] Turning off xmlrpc handling (Is it right to assume thattext/xml==xmlrpc?)

Brian Lloyd brian at zope.com
Fri Jun 25 13:59:59 EDT 2004

> John Ziniti wrote:
> > ZPublisher seems to assume that if the Content-type
> > on an HTTP POST is "text/xml", then the request contains
> > an xmlrpc call.
> >
> > I would like to POST an XML document and handle it myself
>  >
> > 1. I would prefer not to hack Zope.
>
> The more I look at this problem and the Zope code set up to
> handle it, the more I think that hacking Zope is the only
> way to accomplish what I want.  The question I keep coming
> to, though, is "Is it right that Zope assumes that all POSTs
> with a text/xml payload are xmlrpc calls?" and I can't help
> but answering "no".

And you are correct ;) Unfortunately, though, this misfeature has
been around for a long time and would break a lot of people if the
default were changed. That doesn't mean it shouldn't necessarily
be changed anyway, possibly with some sort of backward-compatibility
mode that would make the transition reasonable.

Short of that though, its your lucky day, since I happen to have an
add-on product laying around that does exactly what you want ;)

The attached XmlFix product disables xml-rpc handling w/o having
to hack Zope (well, it hacks it from the outside, at least), which
lets you handle xml sent via POST.

This is based on a SoapFix product that does much the same thing,
except that it is more discriminating and only lets SOAP requests
bypass the xml-rpc handling (which otherwise works normally). I've
attached that as well, in case it is useful to anybody.

Hope this helps!

Brian Lloyd        brian at zope.com
V.P. Engineering   540.361.1716
Zope Corporation   http://www.zope.com