[Zope] Turning off xmlrpc handling (Is it right to assume that text/xml==xmlrpc?)

John Ziniti jziniti at speakeasy.net
Fri Jun 25 14:30:43 EDT 2004

Brian Lloyd wrote:
>>The more I look at this problem and the Zope code set up to
>>handle it, the more I think that hacking Zope is the only
>>way to accomplish what I want.  The question I keep coming
>>to, though, is "Is it right that Zope assumes that all POSTs
>>with a text/xml payload are xmlrpc calls?" and I can't help
>>but answering "no".
>

> And you are correct ;) Unfortunately, though, this misfeature has
> been around for a long time and would break a lot of people if the
> default were changed. That doesn't mean it shouldn't necessarily
> be changed anyway, possibly with some sort of backward-compatibility
> mode that would make the transition reasonable.

This sounds to me like it won't be getting changed any time soon. :-)

> Short of that though, its your lucky day, since I happen to have an
> add-on product laying around that does exactly what you want ;)
>
> The attached XmlFix product disables xml-rpc handling w/o having
> to hack Zope (well, it hacks it from the outside, at least), which
> lets you handle xml sent via POST.

Thanks, Brian.  That's a nifty piece of code -- I never realized
that you could do something like this in a Product; but it makes
sense now that I see it (wooo Python!).

The Product version is definitely more supportable and upgrade-
proof than hacking the Zope code itself.

JZ