[Zope] Re: Restricting Posts to Subscribers

Ken Manheimer klm at zope.com
Tue Jun 29 11:12:09 EDT 2004

Nick Bower <nicholas.bower at jrc.it> writes:

> What about us GMane users?  This method of participation is actually
> reccommended as perferred for all Plone lists. And no wonder imho - news is
> far superior to mail for participating in high traffic forums!

I agree that reading list traffic via news is a major boon - particularly
for high volume lists.  The nice thing is that your very posting appears to
demonstrate that posting via gmane is not a problem.  I put the subscriber-
only restriction in place friday evening (and posted a followup to
zope-announce indicating so).  If your posting was, in fact, via gmane,
then the subscribe-only posting restriction and gmane posting can coexist
nicely - it's not a problem.

Now, i'm not sure why it works.  It could be that you have configure your
news setup so your messages are attributed with your/an email address that
is a subscriber to the list.  Or it could be that all messages coming from
gmane are accepted because gmane is a subscriber.  Dunno.  Each has
advantages and disadvantages - but both are quite acceptable.

> Other posters have raised similar concerns.
>
> Unrelated - have you tried grey-listing also?
>
> http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/

That does look like a pretty nice, and easy, win.  I'll have to leave it to
the folks managing the smtp infrastructure on the system to determine
whether it fits well.

Ken Manheimer
klm at zope.com (posting via gmane)