[Zope] handling SELECT 'onchange'

Small Business Services toolkit at magma.ca
Mon Mar 1 16:28:24 EST 2004

From: "Jim Anderson" <ezjab at ieee.org>
> So my real question is, "Is there anyway using javascript to get
coordinated
> communication between the client and server to assure that client and
> server process can be synchronized when required?"
>
> I can definitely work around this issue, but my resulting web pages will
> be less configurable and will require greater maintenace. I appreciate
> you thoughts or anyone elses thoughts.

The way I do it is:

1) js function on the client creates a js var: isLoaded and set it to
'false'
2) js function on the client then loads a page from the server
3) the page on the server contains embedded js which sets the same var
(isLoaded) to true (note: put this embedded js at the end of the page, or
use the onLoad event to cause it to execute when the page is finished
4) the original js routine, running on the client, can check the value of
isLoaded in a loop (use setTimeout) until isLoaded is true

You can create a generic js function to check page load status as long as
you make sure the page from the server updates the a standard js var (ie.
isLoaded).

HTH

Jonathan