[Zope] Question about possible Data.fs corruption

Ira Sher ira at angel.net
Wed Mar 3 17:58:57 EST 2004

hello all,
I recently took over managing a zope site for a small nonprofit. I'm
new to Zope and python, and the people who built the site don't have
time to maintain it--it arrived in my hands with problems.

If a certain kind of object (a "reader's guide") is added to the
database, it breaks the site as soon as a person tries to view the new
object. We have to restart from a previous version of Data.fs (running
Zope 2.5.1, python 2.1, on Debian). I have a copy of the site on an OS
10.3 box with python 2.3 and Zope 2.6.4rc2--on this, the Zope server
doesn't come down entirely, but does throw this error when I try to nav
to the index page after an update: File /.../Traversable.py, line 106,
in unrestrictedTraverse (Object: Zope) (Info: (['105586758764', 'Neela
Vaswani', 'Authors'], '')) IndexError: string index out of range

The file referred to is the new reader's guide object--I'm not sure why
it's being called when I'm simply going to the site index page from an
unrelated page, but this is no doubt integral to the problem. The folks
who built the site and myself have peeled back this transaction
numerous times. Things are packed before that. Nothing else causes
problems.

Thinking this could be a Data.fs corruption issue, I've run fstest,
fsrefs, checkbtrees(none of which complain), and tranalyzer (which
breaks almost immediately with "Not enough data left" back in
transactions 3 years old). Planning to begin taking back enough
transactions that things cease breaking, I've also used a verbose
fsrecover to find recent transaction locations, and truncated a copy of
the Data.fs file to these--this has created a POSKeyError at
0000000000000002 (site won't start, can't even set app = Zope.app() in
python because it throws me an error there, too, so I can't view the
object).

And...that's where I stand. Any suggestions on how to handle this? I
would appreciate any advice on either how to proceed, or rethink the
problem.
thanks in advance,
ira