[Zope] Memory Use problems

Douwe Osinga dmo at oberon.nl
Thu Mar 4 08:18:22 EST 2004

Hi,

>> [stuff deleted where I describe that my zope memory use seems to
    grow unreasonably (at least, that's what I think) with lots of
    BTrees._IOBTree.IOBucket objects]
> Many of them are likely "ZCatalog" metadata blocks.
> They can become huge monsters.
>
> Unless you do statistics or present huge numbers of hits in
> a single page, you do not need metadata. Access the object
> instead (via "proxy.getObject()").
>
> Under no circumstances put large fields in the metadata table.
>
> Also remove the "bobobase_modification_time" from this table.
Tweaking the catalog use and what's in it helps marginally. Thanks
for the tips. However I still have memory problems. For example:

I've packed the database - it is now ~300 MByte. If I try to export the
main object, i.e. the database containing all our travel information,
zope runs out of memory, gobbling up the 512 Mbyte RAM I have per
process in a few minutes. I then cleared the catalog and now the
zexp sometimes (but not always) makes it.

Also, I reduced the number of threads and the number of objects per
thread, but this doesn't seem to help.

Douwe Osinga