[Zope] 4 instances in zope/debian (newbie)

Jonas Meurer jonas at freesources.org
Sat Mar 6 10:54:14 EST 2004

hello,

I just started with zope and for now i'm quite happy with the packages
in debian/testing. The instance 'default' was automaticly created at
initial install, and after creating the access file with an emergency
user, zope started nicely.

now i'm first time confronted with the problem to setup more than one
instances, and i've absolutely no glue about how to manage this.
there exists this package 'zopectl' which is described as helper for
managing more instances, but it seems like the zope package itself
normally starts/stops all the instances, and for now that's ok.

but how to create a new instance? I finally need 4 different instances
with own import/products folder, and own http/webdav ports.
the docs in debian describe zopectl to create a new instance with the
'create' respective 'init' instance, where create is depreciated because
it also creates pcgi files, which aren't needed normally (and in my
case).

but anyway, this doesn't help since 'zopectl init <instancename>'
doesn't do anything, neither creating the instance-own files nor giving
any (error) output.

in #zope on freenode someone pointed me to a python script called
zmakeinstance.py or something like that, but I'm definitely not able to
find this script in the zope relating packages, and so it will not
debian-compliant out of the box.

but apart from that, isn't there a smart and easy way of creating
additional zope instances in debian? maybe simply adding new instances
to the configfiles /etc/zopectl/zopectlrc and /etc/zopectl/default.conf
and creating /var/lib/zope/instance/<instancename> reaches?

additional, i'dd like to know if it's possible to rename the default
instance. maybe just renaming the folder /var/lib/zope/instance/default
and substituting the instancename in /etc/zopectl/* is all?

would be nice if someone could point me to the right docs or give me
some hints about how to get this managed.

bye
 jonas

ps: a cc: to my private mail would be nice since i'm subscribed to and
reading a lot of lists.