[Zope] Zope and MS-Frontpage inter-operability

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Tue Mar 9 12:27:49 EST 2004

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 08:43 am, Roberto Marabini wrote:
> I am trying to  use a site developed in MS front page.

Don't you hate it when that happens? ;-)

> The problem is that Frontpage uses folders with underscores e.g. _themes ,
> for storing images, css etc.

Yep.

> Python (and therefore Zope) does not seem to allow folders (or any object
> in fact) to have a name that begins with an underscore.

Python could care less what you name them, and doesn't really know what
a "folder" is, but Zope uses the underscore as a security marker to identify
methods that shouldn't be published.

> Has anybody successfully used Frontpage and publish it to a zope
> web server?

I have *converted* a FrontPage site to work with Zope.  It's not too
hard, just use sed (or perl or python) to fixup folder references.  I did
it with tcsh and 'perl -pi -e "s/_foo/Ffoo/"', IIRC (check the perl man
page to make sure I've done that right.

The outer loop was something like:

foreach f (foo bar baz)

find . -name "_$f" mv {} F$f \;
find . -type f -exec perl -pi -e "s/_$f/F$f/g" {} \;

end

Or something similar to that -- you should read the man pages and
try it out first.  Then you just import the converted site via FTP.

The above code doesn't recurse into subdirectories as it should,
and the "foo bar baz" stands in for those special directory names
FrontPage uses, which I can't remember at the moment, sorry.

I wouldn't recommend this as a regular publication method, though.

OTOH, if it works generally, you could rewrite the above in Python
and create a special import method to load FrontPage sites into
Zope.

But then if you have Zope, why use FrontPage anymore?  ;-)

Cheers,
Terry