[Zope] Wrapping a non-Zope site in Zope

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Mar 9 14:53:48 EST 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 12:39:32PM +0200, Etienne Labuschagne wrote:
> >Chris Withers wrote:
> >> The second phase will incorporate the mail site into the Plone skin,
> >by
> >> stripping the <head> section from the mail server served pages and
> >then
> >> plugging the body into the body slot of the Plone skin.
> >
> >niiice... rather you than me ;-)
>
> Thanks, I feel much more confident now :(

Actually I don't expect this part to be hard as long as you
don't want to do extensive munging of the body section.
Google for KebasData.  I've done a similar thing with
a CMFDefault-based site that needed to include a single page of
content from e.g. a Notes/Domino server. But I only needed
a single page, so this was expedient.

> >I'd suggest just changing hte HTML of your mail software so it looks
> >like
> >Plone... much more efficient and robust.

me too, actually :-)

> >> I have started writing a "proxy" object in Zope
> >> that takes the browser request, figures out which page to retrieve
> >from
> >> the mail server with urllib, retrieve the page, and pass that back
> >> again, but it is a bit slow.
> >
> >That will be an unending and tortuous path of pain and suffering for you
> >;-)

> Ahh, then let's no go there, shall we?

Yes, let's not :-)

Where I work, we have some zope sites that are integrated with
jboss sites via a custom java proxy. It does rewriting of URLs
in the proxied content, too. I cannot begin to estimate
the time and effort sunk into this solution.  I don't think it
would be any fun to implement something similar in python.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com