[Zope] Re: zpt initial blank line

Joseph Kocherhans jkocherhans at mac.com
Tue Mar 16 14:58:53 EST 2004

 >> It doesn't appear to be dependent on my zpt if that's what you're
 >> getting at.
 >
 > Interesting...
 >
 >> know :) Every PageTemplate I access has a leading blank line. I
 >> probably should have posted this to begin with, so here are the
 >> platform details:
 >

 > How are you editing your page templates? Is it the same on BSD and XP?

That's part of what baffles me... I've been checking the rendered
standard_template.pt as a reference since I haven't edited it.

 >> Python 2.3.3 (The binary installer from python.org, not the one that
 >> gets installed with the Zope windows installer.)
 >

 > Huh? Why aren't you using the one that comes with Zope? What did you do
 > to change this? Are there any other parts of the 2.7.0 installation that
 > you've tinkered with on WinXP?!

I just changed the runzope.bat script to point to a different
python.exe. I know it's probably not a good idea, but this is just a dev
machine and I got sick of copying site-packages from my system python to
zope's python. I haven't tinkered with anything else. I wondered if that
was causing the problem, but my stock 2.6.4 install is doing the same
thing. I haven't changed it at all.

I think I've seen the same issue with Zope 2.5.x on Win2k before too. I
wasn't trying to process PageTemplates as xml though, so it was just
curious, not a fatal error. This was like 2 years ago though, so it's
just a vague memory.

 >> Could anyone verify this behavior on Windows? I've just been viewing
 >> the source of standard_template.pt to check things out for now.
 >
 > Viewing the rendered source or the actual source? ;-)

The rendered source has the initial blank line... the actual source
appears as expected over ftp and through the zmi.

I'm going to just work around the issue for now, but I have to get a
production 2.7 install going soon on Win2k server. I'll check and see if
it behaves the same way before I change anything and report back. I'll
be using zope's python in production too ;)

joseph