[Zope] disable versions for an object ?

Thomas Bennett bennettt at pm.appstate.edu
Thu Mar 18 10:52:04 EST 2004

Is there a way to disable versions for a single object or another solution?

   My case in point is that I have an AXIS Video WEB cam that the "Boss"
wants a new shot sent to the server every 5 seconds.  Well I got that part
working fine because the camera is running an embedded linux and ftp to a
PhotoFolder object on the server so it would be a Photo object.  I
activated that sometime last week and it worked fine until Sunday I got a
call that users could not connect to the server.  The Data.fs file had
grown to 40 times is usual size and filled up the hard drive. No log
entries could be written so I assumed that and other processes that needed
to write to the drive stopped services.  I had to run Christoph
Becker-Freyseng's  zodbpack.py on the live Data.fs file(after stopping the
server of course), after deleting some large older log files and such,
since there was nowhere to copy the Data.fs file.  THANK YOU CHRISTOPH !!
I assume that Zope was keeping a history version of each photo going to
the server which would be 720 photos/hour.  So that is why I would want to
disable history versions for a single object.  In the mean time I am using
LocalFS to serve the file from the file system where a second FTP server
is running to receive the pictures but I can't show it as a Photo object
without running it through the Image2photo script.  I'd rather not resort
to setting  a ZCron or something to pack the live Data.fs every hour, day
or whenever.

And while on the camera subject, is there a way I can send a login to the
camera for live video.  The page I have now connects to the camera but a
username/password box pops up On IE and Netscape.  I have a user defined
for view only but I don't want the person viewing to have to login but
rather it be automatic. I've tried
http://username:password@www.mycamera.site but this doesn't work and I
think recent security patches have disabled that format.

TIA
Thomas