[Zope] SiteRoots, AccessRules, and absolute_URLs

Horak, Karl KEHORAK at sandia.gov
Thu Mar 18 16:43:57 EST 2004

I am running Zope behind a FreeBSD/Apache firewall.  Seems like everytime I
turn around, Zope is tripping over the address of the Zope server
(http://10.0.0.2:8080/ORDweb/...) instead of using the firewall
(https://hsrdte.sandia.com/Zope/ORDweb/...).  Anything that makes use of
absolute_URL seems prone to this problem.

I've read dozens and dozens of items on SiteRoot but all it does for me is
kill access to the folder, usually for both ordinary use and the ZMI.  Even
using _SUPPRESS_SITEROOT is very iffy about rescuing the situation.
Typically, I just delete my test folders and start over.

Recently, I thought that an access rule would allow me to programmatically
replace the http://10.0.0.2:8080/ with https://hsrdte.sandia.com/Zope/ when
handling requests.  For starters, from the Zope book I tried the simple
example (at
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/ZopeServices.stx
).  So far it has failed and, as a pleasent side-effect, kills the ZMI.
_SUPPRESS_ACCESSRULE at least lets me in so I can turn off the access rule.
Still, I haven't a clue as to why it won't work--the example is too simple.

Anyway, back to the question at hand:  how does one get Zope to stop giving
me errors like "Unable to locate object http://10.0.0.2:8080/ORDweb/..."?  I
just need it to see the external address of
"https://hsrdte.sandia.com/Zope/ORDweb/..." instead.  Exactly what is the
magic that turns http://10.0.0.2:8080 into https://hsrdte.sandia.com/Zope?
Specific assistance from anyone with a suggestion would be appreciated.

Karl

Details:  (from my network admin--I do not have a clue about the
configuration of these proxy-pass issues; I'm just a Python guy)

Firewall:

apache 2.0.48_3 -- 443

  ProxyRequests On
  ProxyPass /hsrdte/ http://10.0.0.2/