[Zope] New install (2.6.2/RedHat9), server starts OK, can't log in

Anthony R. Thompson art at sigiltechnologies.com
Thu Mar 18 17:23:51 EST 2004

I've installed Zope 2.6.2 on RedHat 9 using the RPM (from
http://zope.org/Members/medienlabor/packages).  The installation went
fine (no errors) and I started the server with /etc/init.d/zope start
as recommended in the README.RedHat file.  I checked the logs
(/var/log/zope.log and /var/log/zope.debug.log) and didn't see any
errors.

I was able to go to http://www.myserver.com:8080/ and get the initial
Zope page, however I was unable to log in to the management interface.
After several tries I get an error of "You are not authorized to
access this resource." I'm trying to use the superuser account, with
the same password I set from the command line with the zpasswd script
(chose SHA and domain restriction of *.mydomain.com). I tried both
that password (set on the command line) and the default as described
in the README.RedHat, and neither worked.

If you research this on the web, you'll find lots of stuff about
Apache's rewrite and proxy configuration directives, but the problem
is that all of those pages seem to be about making Zope work with
PCGI, which the README.RedHat says is neither installed nor supported
any more ("PCGI is not longer supported by Zope Corporation and is not
installed by this package."). Hence, I am completely at a loss on how
to successfully log in, which is frustrating.

Yes, I am running Zope with Apache (2.something), so maybe that's an
issue, but as I said, most of the pages I found on this topic seem to
assume the use of PCGI which the README.RedHat says is not being used.
  I'd really like to be able to log in (right now I'm "so close, and
yet so far"), so would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give.

thanks,
Anthony

(ps--I searched the archives before asking this question, but didn't
see anything about this topic)