[Zope] allowing _mm folder?

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Thu Mar 18 19:00:04 EST 2004

Andrew Altepeter wrote:

>Our college is looking into using Macromedia Contribute to manage
>content.  I would like to have contribute manage content stored in zope.
>
>Unfortunately, Contribute uses a '_mm' folder to store isn't site
>configuration information.  Since this is a protected id, when
>Contribute tries to setup an ftp connection and create this folder it
>fails.

Whatcha-call-it... Frontpage suffers from this same malady. You should
see what solutions have been suggested for that.

>Is there any way I can either allow _mm to be created as a folder, or is
>there some other way around this?
>
>I've thought about trying some sort of pre_traversal hook that would
>translate _mm to mm_ (or some valid id) when it's requested, but I don't
>know how to do that.

That is a good solution to the problem in general. If you're only
interested in FTP, it has special methods that you might over-ride for
the same effect.

If may be possible to do a slightly easier fix with a product that does
rewriting at the Zope level. I know there exist (though I never did get
them to work) products called Rewriter and Redirector. Their
"forwarding" may not care about object name rules.

>Actually, I don't know if 'pre traversal hook' is
>even the right term; because is it really 'traversal' when you are
>requesting an 'mkdir _mm' via ftp?

Yes. Traversal happens anytime an object is published, even if it's not
through HTTP.

          --jcc

--
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you."