[Zope] zope 2.6.4 lockups

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue Mar 23 15:07:47 EST 2004

Osma Suominen wrote at 2004-3-23 12:05 +0200:
>On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Dieter Maurer wrote:
>
>>   Zope got a SIGSEGV because the C runtime stack overflew (application
>>   bug).
>Can you tell a bit more about what was
>wrong?

It was a bug in my application which caused the C runtime stack to
overflow.

>Can this be triggered by bugs in Python scripts, ZPT or DTML?

It can be caused by anything that recurses.
Usually, the Python interpreter raises a "RuntimeError, maximal
recursion depth exceeded" before an overflow of the runtime stack
but I had set the recursion limit very generously.

>I'm considering updating Zope to 2.7.0 (from 2.6.4) with Python 2.3.3 in
>the hope that it might help. Is this futile?

I am using Zope 2.7.0. This means, Zope 2.7.0 can hang very similar
as you have described it for Zope 2.6.

>> Shane shed some light on the situation:
>>
>>   Python blocks signals in threads other than the main thread.
>>   Thus, only the main thread receives signals (other than SIGSEGV)
>>
>> This is documented behaviour but arguably wrong for SIGSEGV (and some
>> further signals).
>
>Should this issue be considered a bug in either Python or Zope?

I think it is a Python bug. I posted in comp.lang.python.
I do not yet know what people replied.

--
Dieter