[Zope] Zope article at Kuro5hin.org

John Schinnerer johnschinnerer at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 25 00:45:24 EST 2004

Aloha,

--- Peter Bengtsson <mail at peterbe.com> wrote:
>  From the introduction: "Recently I discovered Zope, and having
> understood its principles I decided to abandon my years of PHP
> experience in pursuit of a better way."
>
> I, like him, had this experience too.
> How many people on the zope mailing list haven't had the same career
> experience?

I was just starting to go beyond static HTML and mess around with PHP
(and a wee bit MySQL) when I heard about Zope and started looking into
it (2.4.1 had just been released).

It was, and still is, the conceptual design brilliance of Zope that I
found most attractive.

The nitty-gritty of actually developing with zope is no less a PITA and
vertical learning 'curve' than anything else I've seen.  Different,
yes; easier, well, not for me anyhow.  Though I haven't bothered with
anything else since then, either... :-o

So I stick with it because - conceptually - it's just way, way cooler
than anything else.  Meanwhile - in reality -  I spend hours just
trying to find out the right little bit of syntax or correct way to
reference or method or hack or whatever to get one little tiny thing
done.  And so on, and so on...

John S.