[Zope] Superuser and SuSE 9.0

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Mon Mar 29 00:49:11 EST 2004

Bob Wooden wrote:

>I have installed Zope using the rpm file (2.6.1-132) that ships with
>SuSE 9.0 onto my machine.  When attempting to access
>http://localhost:8080/manage, all attempts are refused.  Using
>zpasswd.py to create (and/or re-create) a superuser with a password, all
>attempts are still refused.

Be sure that you are using zpasswd properly and that the results are
going somewhere they will be seen. Read the doc/SECURITY.txt file in
your Zope installation, then find and read the "Deian setup" thread from
this list.

There is also a "Zope in SuSE 9.0" thread that reports and solves this
exact problem.

>User and Security chapter of the zopebook indicates in "$ cd (... where
>your ZOPE_HOME is... )".  I am confused, does zope create a zope home
>directory under /home?  Why can I not change my superuser password to
>something I know?

ZOPE_HOME is where your Zope is installed. I will presume that the book
mentions that somewhere but you missed it.

>When install chapter discusses the compile under a tar install, it
>indicates that a superuser password is provided and the user (myself)
>needs to write this down to get into zope.  If I use the SuSE provided
>rpm file, how do I find out the password?

I do not know. The package should provide that knowledge somewhere.
Possibly a README.SuSE file, or something. It is remiss if it does not.

>Please help!

Zope in Linux distro packages is always a nightmare. I'm not sure why.
But Zope "from source" is not hard.

            --jcc