[Zope] Authentication problem with Zope 2.6.1

Nicholas Dunham nicholas at acetylene.net
Wed Mar 31 16:07:13 EST 2004

Hello all,
I'm trying to disable anonymous access on Zope 2.6.1, but every time I do,
everything below the level of the folder I make this change to becomes
inaccessible even with a proper username and password. That is, if I disable
anonymous access to a Plone site under Zope, that Plone site can no longer
be accessed no matter what username and password is tried, though objects
higher in the directory tree are fine. If I make the change to Zope's root
folder, all of Zope becomes inaccessible, even with an admin password
created in zpasswd.py, and I have to restore the entire installation from a
backup to get back in again. Aside from this, passwords seem to be working
fine--I enter a password to access the Manage screen, for example, and it
works as I'd expect.

I'm trying to disable anonymous access by going to the Security tab,
unchecking "Anonymous" and "Acquire permission settings" everywhere
"Anonymous" is currently checked, and replacing that with "Authenticated."
The username I'm trying to log in with has all the necessary permissions.

This problem occurs whether I'm accessing the site through Apache (using
mod_rewrite and mod_ssl) or directly on port 8080.

Further information: after three tries at authentication on an affected
object, the following traceback is displayed:

* Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 134, in publish_module
* Module Zope.App.startup, line 120, in zpublisher_exception_hook
* Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 32, in mapply
* Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 38, in call_object
* Module App.Management, line 67, in manage_workspace

Unauthorized: You are not authorized to view this object. (Also, an error
occurred while attempting to render the standard error message.)

Interestingly, when I look at the Site Error Log, under Exception traceback
it does list my correct username after "User Name (User Id)".

I'm very confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.