[Zope] Z-SQL crashes Zope -- mxODBC test works -- but Z-SQL test fails ... for data longer than ~140 characters ... (windows/interbase)

Jason LeMonier jlemonier at Retailpro.com
Wed May 5 12:57:02 EDT 2004

Hey,

Using [eGenix mxODBC Database Connection at  /db_bos]  [Test]
        select * from t20_user_experience
                --> retrieves 2 rows -- 1 field has 200+ characters

Z-SQL method using SAME db connection: /db_bos
        select uid from t20_user_experience     (ok)
        select * from t20_user_experience
                --> python.exe - Application Error -- instruction at 0x...  Ok to term, Cancel to Debug.
                        Debug (Vis Studio): Runtime error -- abnormal program execution.

Bottom Line:
        Z-SQL method crashes Zope when a field has 200+ characters in it!

Progress:
        This problem started when I was trying to update fields w/  ~200+ characters using Z-SQL methods.
        I bypassed Z-SQL updates completely by running updates like this:
            def run_sql (sql, dsn):
                """ bypass z-sql ??? """
                import mx.ODBC.Windows      # Connect to the database (using iODBC)
                conn = mx.ODBC.Windows.DriverConnect('DSN=%s'%(dsn))
                curs = conn.cursor()     # Create a database cursor
                curs.execute(sql)           # Execute a statement on the cursor
                conn.commit()
                curs.close()
                conn.close()
                # return "run_sql output: dsn=%s sql=%s "%(dsn,sql)
                return 1
        Only to find the same data crashes zope upon reading the data into a resultset!

I've been looking in: \python\Shared\DC\ZRDB at dbi_db.py and others to try and track down
what code is running for Z-SQL.
    in dby_db.py --> def query(self,query_string, max_rows=9999999):
                                        return 'stop now!!'     # This did NOT change anything!!  what code is running???

Any help with:
        finding the code that runs to execute Z-SQL
        bypassing Z-SQL selects but still get the needed resultsets
	General tips on what may be happening

    would be so greatly appreciated!!

Environment: Plone 1.0.5, Zope 2.6.1, W2K Server, Interbase 6