[Zope] Refresh causes spinning Zope (bug with my Product?)

John Ziniti jziniti at speakeasy.net
Thu May 6 12:04:30 EDT 2004

Dieter Maurer wrote:
>>I would be willing to try your patch and report back results to
>>the list.
>

> Add "orig_cache.clear()" in the definition of "_resetCache"
> in ".../ZODB/Connection.py" (method of class "Connection")
> after "orig_cache = self._cache".

Dieter,  thanks for all your help on this; but it appears
that our problems have cleared up, so I won't be able to
provide data points in support of the clear().

A summary:
The objects being refreshed had a rather large data structure
mistakenly assigned to an object attribute.  The first request
after refresh iterated through a list of these objects for a
quick "status report", which meant that this large data
structure was unpickled for all of the objects -- this
took a lot of time and a lot of memory.  Obviously, this
was just bad code.  The data structure was moved to a
volatile attribute, and after packing and restarting
the ZEO backend, the objects are *much* smaller and the
refresh is almost instantaneous.

Thanks again and sorry I could help you out more,

JZ