[Zope] zope performance issues

Trevor Warren trevorwarren at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 22:04:08 EDT 2004

Morning Guys/Gals,

 I write in regards some wierd performance issues that
we have been facing at work. I will illustrate the
same in brief.

 We are a large consultancy based out of India
evaluating App Servers for deployment by customers
world wide. I am neither a code guru nor a zope admin
guru but am getting along well with the same and work
for the Performance Engineering Group here.

 Towards benchmarking any app server we port our
"TPC-W" certified web application to the enviornment.
TPC-W is based in many flavours jsp/asp and now
zope_dtml.

 Some very simple basic transactions
short-circuited(Without Sql queries) on
Weblogic/Websphere give me 5-10 times the throughput
that i got with simple zope pages. To illustrate the
figures...i got a 30TPS(Transactions per sec) compared
to a 150+TPS with weblogic/websphere. All zope code i
have writte via the ZMI  is very simple DTML code.
Nothing fancy.

 Lemme tell you all that i have 5+ years on gnu/linux
and worked with Red Hat. Just to let you know i am
serious about the figured above and just dont want to
show something in poor light.

 Do help me push zope to the limits and i will share
the results of the benchmarks as obtained. Somethings
i need to start with.....

>> Caching of Objects in Zope
>> Dynamic Thread Management Features in Zope
>> Shared pool connection management for SQL queries
>> Tuning Documents
>> Monitoring of current instance
>> Capability to pump test load across numerous Zope
Servers(If none of the above work)

 Appreciate any feedback on the same fellas.

Trevor

=====
/~\    __      Scaling  FLOSS   in the     __   /~\
|  \) /   Enterprise : trevor.w at pvision.biz  \ (/ |
|_|_  \       Call Now:  9820349221          / _|_|