[Zope] lilpond-zope

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Tue May 18 01:34:49 EDT 2004

On Monday 17 May 2004 10:55 pm, Aaron wrote:
> I am trying to set up a zope based web application which manages musical
> content, specifically lilypond notation, ogg-vorbis audio, midi, and
> information about these files (songs)
>
> I need a way to give users of the project a way to add, correct, edit
> etc. lilypond files.

Interesting project. :-)

> 1. the ability to edit on the web page itself either:
>     a.) with colorization, completion etc of common lilypond funtions.
> 	this is already available with vim and emacs, but I would like
> 	to add some of that functunality to a zope textbox.
>     b.) A more graphical front end to lilypond where the user see's
> 	graphics of the various elements and clicks on them with the 	mouse (or
> uses a shortcut key) to add the elements to the page.
>
> 2. the ability to edit lilypond files remotely and upon save upload
> 	them to the zope server.
>
> In the above cases midi playback of the resulting files would take place
> by sending the file to the lilypond parser and playing the result in a
> midi player.
>
> How do I go about creating from scratch such an editing enviroment or
> modifying and existing one?

First of all, anything remotely WYSIWYG is a Javascript problem, and
one that requires recent improvements to Javascript, which are only
compatible with very recent versions of Internet Explorer and Mozilla.

I'd research the "Epoz" project for that.  I bet some of the code could
be applied to your project. (?)

Generating music is pretty easy -- you just call the lilypond parser
from your Zope server when you submit the form.  The return page provides
a link to the digitized sound data.  You probably want to use the
streaming "LocalFS" system or something similar, in case the datafile
is large.

Cheers,
Terry