[Zope] Sessions and RAM cache managers causing memory leak

Richard Ettema richard.ettema at yoursolutions.com
Wed May 19 10:13:21 EDT 2004

 >>  Some of the dtml methods being cached have dtml namespace cache
keys set
 >>  (no request vars are used) and appear on all accounts to being working
 >>  as expected, with the expected number of enteries for these dtml
 >
 >Thats could be the problem.  If you pass the wrong thing to the dtml
 >namespace cache keys you will end up in a world of pain.  I suggest
 >adding some debugging statements inside ZCacheable_set or
 >ZDocumentTemplate_afterRender to see what that keywords dictionary
 >you're passing in actually looks like to the the RCM.  If the RCM ends
 >up calling str() on any objects that get repr'd like
 ><Foo instance at 6a3463>  then you're going to see a lot of cache
 >misses and spurious growth as your python process grows in size and
 >relocates its objects in memory.  This is the same problem facing
 >PageTemplates that I wrote about last year in
 >http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=zope&m=105460381811223&w=2

Is this a possibility even when the "Entries" and "Misses" column counts
are what I would expect for the possible cache key combinations from
dtml? Entry counts range from 1 to approx 20, as I would expect for the
possible cache keys being passed.  None of the entries or misses column
counts climb during testing. Does this problem occur in the background
with no visible signs?

Thanks for your help on this.
Richard.