[Zope] zope performance issues

Tiller, Michael (M.M.) mtiller at ford.com
Thu May 20 13:03:20 EDT 2004

wrote:
> > While we are on the subject of zope performance issues, are all you
Zope
> > people aware (I searched the mailing list and couldn't find mention
of
> > it) that some people in the Plone community (including myself) have
> > taken to uncommenting a line in the AcceleratedHTTPCacheManager.py
file
> > of Zope 2.7 because it seems to hamper caching in proxy servers?
>
> News to me. And AFAICT, nobody has ever filed this as an
> issue in the collector. Bugs don't get fixed if they're not reported!

I agree completely.  That is why I brought it up.  It was not clear to
me the extent to which this was a known issue.  I just wanted to check
here to see if people considered it a bug/issue or whether there was a
good reason for leaving the line commented (seems suspicious
right...that the line is just commented out?).

> I'm filing it now:
> http://collector.zope.org/Zope/1345

Great thanks.  I didn't intend to put you to that much trouble.  I just
didn't want to clog the collector with something unless it was a
legitimate issue.

> BTW, given that you're using Plone/CMF, why not use
> the Caching Policy Manager?  It does set the "Last-Modified" header.

I do.  The problem (at least as I understand which could be not at all)
is that it doesn't work for all types, e.g.

Ivo van der Wijk wrote:
> Both 'Profiling and caching' and 'HighPerformanceZope' claim you can
get
> CCPM to cache images. However, I've been unable to get this to work,
and
> after diving into CMFCore, I noticed that only FSPageTemplate has a
hook
> into caching_policy_manager. Are these documents wrong on this point,
or
> am I simply missing something?

Also, I think using CPM requires a hack as well (changing the global
cache settings) to get rid of a Pragma in the headers.  Finally, I found
it very hard to find good documentation on the CPM (eventually I did
though).

--
Mike