[Zope] Zope locks up

Bert Vanderbauwhede bert.vanderbauwhede at ugent.be
Thu May 27 03:49:27 EDT 2004

Hi,

I had a serious problem with my site yesterday. For some unknown reason,
Zope seemed to lock up or slow down extremely, so we couldn't get a
response anymore. I tried several things:

* restart Zope
* replace Data.fs by an earlier version
* redirect Apache to another Zope server

These things didn't work. After a couple of minutes the problem
returned.

After searching through Apache log files, a colleague found that
something weird happened with requests for pages that started with
'/error/'. So we changed the rewrite rules to deny those requests, and
everything seemed to work again. Since then, we've only had the ususal
(read LDAP) problems.

My questions:

* Were those '/error/'-requests really the cause of the problem? How can
I be sure. And why did this happen just now? I've been using those same
rewrite rules for over a year now, but I never had this problem before.

* Is there a list of things to check for when Zope locks up? Yesterday,
we looked at about everything, before we stumbled upon those '/error/'-
requests. Could we have found this earlier?

* Is there a list of bad requests, ie. requests that lock up Zope. I
already denied WebDAV-requests (PROPFIND, LOCK) on Zope's HTTP-port,
because of problems with M$ Word and Word-documents. Are there other
things that I should deny, or at least handle with care?

My configuration:

Redhat 8.0
Apache 2.0.40
Zope 2.6.4
CMF 1.2

Bert Vanderbauwhede...
--
"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away."
   -- Alexander LaVelle Harris