[Zope] Zope locks up

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu May 27 10:00:39 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 09:49:27AM +0200, Bert Vanderbauwhede wrote:
> After searching through Apache log files, a colleague found that
> something weird happened with requests for pages that started with
> '/error/'. So we changed the rewrite rules to deny those requests, and
> everything seemed to work again. Since then, we've only had the ususal
> (read LDAP) problems.
>
> My questions:
>
> * Were those '/error/'-requests really the cause of the problem? How can
> I be sure.

Your description is much too vaugue. What is "something weird"?

By default Zope contains no object named /error.
Unless you have added one, those requests should have simply
returned a 404 response.

> * Is there a list of things to check for when Zope locks up?

Not really. But Evan's "Debug a Spinning Zope" recipe
has proved helpful to me:
http://www.zopelabs.com/cookbook/1073504990

I also tend to always turn on "debug logging", aka "big-M logging"
(named for the z2.py switch that turned it on in zope 2.6 and lower).
When something unusual happens such as very poor performance,
running requestprofiler.py on the debug log can be instructive.
E.g. you may find certain requests that always hang or take much
longer than you expect.  This can be a good clue.

> we looked at about everything, before we stumbled upon those '/error/'-
> requests. Could we have found this earlier?
>
> * Is there a list of bad requests, ie. requests that lock up Zope.

No.
If there is such as a thing as a "request that locks up zope"
it is a bug and should be reported at http://collector.zope.org/Zope .

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com