[Zope] Re: zope2.6.4/python2.2 doesn't restart after crash, with python2.1 it does

Jonas Meurer jonas at freesources.org
Tue Nov 9 08:18:42 EST 2004

On 08/11/2004 Tres Seaver wrote:
> While Andreas is correct about the supported version, I have
> successfully installed Zope 2.6.x for clients using Python 2.2.3, and
> saw some modest performance benefits;  those instances still run as
> high-traffic, mission-critical applications for those clients.

our zope instances also ran quite well until *something* happened.
we use zope 2.6.4 and python 2.2.3 from debian/testing.

> First, if you are going to run Zope 2.6.x with Python 2.2.x, please
> ensure that it runs with 2.2.3;  there are known crash bugs in earlier
> 2.2.x versions which make Zope particularly hard to run (likewise with
> 2.1.3;  2.1.2 and earlier had crash bugs discovered by Zope).

i ensured this, all zope 2.6.4 instances running with python2.2, use
python 2.2.3, as no other python2.2 version is installed.

> Second, I would strongly recommend compiling and running Zope with a
> separate, "dedicated" Python (installed into /usr/local/ZopePython, or
> some such).  The rationale here is that the system Python may be
> packaged inappropriately for Zope (e,g,, RedHat builds with 4-byte
> unicode;  some older systems did not have large-file support), and that
> the system python may be upgraded / munged by sysadmin operations which
> don't realize that they may impact Zope.

that sounds interessting. so you recomment to not use the default
installed python 2.2.3, but compile an own one for running only zope?

i'm not quite sure whether i understand the intension of this ...
debian has several python packages for every major version (2.1, 2.2,
2.3), and these are only updated inside this develpment tree (2.2.2 to
2.2.3 for example).

as zope packages depend on python2.2 packages, i'm sure that pyton2.2 is
packaged appropriately for zope.

or is there a general problem with other problems using the same python
binary as zope?

> If you can reproduce the issue with a Python you built yourself, and a
> Zope you built and installed from source, then this list can help you.
> Otherwise, you need to report a packaging bug to the Debian maintainers,
> as Andreas suggests.

as already mentioned in the initial post, i can reproduce the bug with
zope built and installed from sources, using the debian python binary.
i can reproduce it with python2.2 from debian, what is used by the zope
packages as well, and i can also reproduce it with python2.1 from
debian.

the python2.1 package was installed recently, and python2.1 is _only_
used by zope on this machine. anyway the problem also occurs with a zope
2.6.4 built and installed from sources with python2.1 from debian.

anyway i'm not able to reproduce the bug on _any_ other machine,
regardless which python/zope versions i use.

if you're still convinced that using a self-compiled python-version on
the buggy machine will give further insight, i'll happily try that
version as well, but currently i don't see any need for that.

bye
 jonas