[Zope] Re: zope2.6.4/python2.2 doesn't restart after crash, with python2.1 it does

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Tue Nov 9 14:09:29 EST 2004

Jonas Meurer wrote:
> On 08/11/2004 Tres Seaver wrote:
>
>>While Andreas is correct about the supported version, I have
>>successfully installed Zope 2.6.x for clients using Python 2.2.3, and
>>saw some modest performance benefits;  those instances still run as
>>high-traffic, mission-critical applications for those clients.
>

> our zope instances also ran quite well until *something* happened.
> we use zope 2.6.4 and python 2.2.3 from debian/testing.
>

>>First, if you are going to run Zope 2.6.x with Python 2.2.x, please
>>ensure that it runs with 2.2.3;  there are known crash bugs in earlier
>>2.2.x versions which make Zope particularly hard to run (likewise with
>>2.1.3;  2.1.2 and earlier had crash bugs discovered by Zope).
>

> i ensured this, all zope 2.6.4 instances running with python2.2, use
> python 2.2.3, as no other python2.2 version is installed.
>

>>Second, I would strongly recommend compiling and running Zope with a
>>separate, "dedicated" Python (installed into /usr/local/ZopePython, or
>>some such).  The rationale here is that the system Python may be
>>packaged inappropriately for Zope (e,g,, RedHat builds with 4-byte
>>unicode;  some older systems did not have large-file support), and that
>>the system python may be upgraded / munged by sysadmin operations which
>>don't realize that they may impact Zope.
>

> that sounds interessting. so you recomment to not use the default
> installed python 2.2.3, but compile an own one for running only zope?
>
> i'm not quite sure whether i understand the intension of this ...
> debian has several python packages for every major version (2.1, 2.2,
> 2.3), and these are only updated inside this develpment tree (2.2.2 to
> 2.2.3 for example).
>
> as zope packages depend on python2.2 packages, i'm sure that pyton2.2 is
> packaged appropriately for zope.

Not necessarily;  the Python package maintainer may not actively know
about Zope.

> or is there a general problem with other problems using the same python
> binary as zope?
>

>>If you can reproduce the issue with a Python you built yourself, and a
>>Zope you built and installed from source, then this list can help you.
>>Otherwise, you need to report a packaging bug to the Debian maintainers,
>>as Andreas suggests.
>

> as already mentioned in the initial post, i can reproduce the bug with
> zope built and installed from sources, using the debian python binary.
> i can reproduce it with python2.2 from debian, what is used by the zope
> packages as well, and i can also reproduce it with python2.1 from
> debian.
>
> the python2.1 package was installed recently, and python2.1 is _only_
> used by zope on this machine. anyway the problem also occurs with a zope
> 2.6.4 built and installed from sources with python2.1 from debian.
>
> anyway i'm not able to reproduce the bug on _any_ other machine,
> regardless which python/zope versions i use.
>
> if you're still convinced that using a self-compiled python-version on
> the buggy machine will give further insight, i'll happily try that
> version as well, but currently i don't see any need for that.

Try the following:

   $ for x in 1, 2; do \
   /usr/bin/python2.$x /usr/lib/python2.$x/tests/test_largefile \
   done

If either of those tests fail, that would be one explanation, especially
if your Data.fs is larger than 2 Gb.  I *do* recommend compiling your
own Python, at least to test whether it helps.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com