[Zope] Re: zope2.6.4/python2.2 doesn't restart after crash, with python2.1 it does

Andrew Langmead alangmead at boston.com
Tue Nov 9 11:00:24 EST 2004

> zope 2.6.4 compiled with python2.2 doesn't do this, in other words it
> fails. event.log tells me something like other processes are already
> accessing and thus locking the Data.fs.
>
> is this a known issue, are workarounds available?

In python 2.2 and 2.3, signals are blocked on all threads except the
main thread. This causes problems with synchronous signals like SIGSEGV
which are always sent to the faulting thread.

See
<https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=756924&group_id=5470&atid=105470> or
<https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=468347&group_id=5470&atid=305470> for more details.

Since Python 2.4 hasn't been well tested for Zope yet, the suggestions
that I can think of are:

1. Backport the threading/signal changes to 2.3.
2. Continue using 2.1.
3. Spearhead a movement to test Zope with Python 2.4. (someone has to
be the first over the hill.)
4. Find what is causing the seg fault, and avoid the issue entirely.