[Zope] Re: zope2.6.4/python2.2 doesn't restart after crash, with python2.1 it does

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 11:34:31 EST 2004

[Andrew Langmead]
> Since Python 2.4 hasn't been well tested for Zope yet,

I'll note that Zopes 3 and 2.8 are routinely tested with the 2.4
pre-releases (2.4 doesn't exist yet, of course), with little trouble.

> the suggestions that I can think of are:
>
> 1. Backport the threading/signal changes to 2.3.
> 2. Continue using 2.1.
> 3. Spearhead a movement to test Zope with Python 2.4. (someone has to
>    be the first over the hill.)
> 4. Find what is causing the seg fault, and avoid the issue entirely.

I like #3 best <wink>.  Volunteers to work on Python 2.2 vanished long
ago, and chances are good 2.3.5 will be the last release in the 2.3
line (2.3.5 will come out after 2.4, probably before this year ends).
I don't know whether anyone did #1, but if not, there isn't much time
remaining to do so before 2.3.5.

Wasn't this specific problem also unique to LinuxThreads?  That is,
weren't Linux systems with POSIX-conforming NPTL threads immune to it?
 If so, add

5. Switch to NPTL threads.