[Zope] Location of Zope instance

Reinoud van Leeuwen reinoud.v at n.leeuwen.net
Thu Nov 11 14:55:39 EST 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 06:52:56PM +0000, John Poltorak wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 05:23:17PM +0100, Reinoud van Leeuwen wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 03:40:20PM +0000, John Poltorak wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there a preferred location for a Zope instance?
> >

> > If you are on FreeBSD, read the hier manpage ("hier -- layout of file
> > systems")
>
> I'm not on *BSD but I would prefer to use the file system layout which it
> recommends. Since I don't have access to the document you mention, could
> you say where Zope should be installed on *BSD and where Zope instances
> should be created?

the application itself should go under /usr/local (the FreeBSD port uses
/usr/local/www/Zope but I prefer /usr/local/zope (stil using the port,
but with an edited /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf for all zope and plone
related ports))

The data is another issue. The hier manpage is not very clear about this
and I think it depends on how you maintain your system.

On a system with one site on it, putting it under
/usr/local/zope/myinstance would be a logical place to find it.

But if multiple different users maintain their own sites on the same
server it could be under their home directory: /usr/home/username/zope

In other environments where home directories might be mounted from
different sources than directories with website content it can be
something like /usr/local/www/www.mysite.com/zope

/opt does not exist in (Free)BSD land.
"Nothing is as subjective as reality"
Reinoud van Leeuwen    reinoud.v at n.leeuwen.net