[Zope] Which database?

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Wed Nov 24 08:11:34 EST 2004

Am Mittwoch, den 24.11.2004, 13:50 +0100 schrieb Hermann Himmelbauer:
> On Tuesday 23 November 2004 23:54, John Poltorak wrote:
> > I'd like to connect up a database to Zope, but have no real database
> > experience. My choice is between MySQL and PostgreSQL.
>
> Don't leave out MySQL's "MaxDB", formerly "SAPDB" in your choice.
>
> > Is there any difference between them from Zope's POV?
>
> Yes and no:
> If you don't use database specific things, there should be no difference. But

This would only be true if both database support SQL(xx) but this is
not really the case for mySQL. So with mysql you end up with a
lot of DB specific stuff to do the trivial things (and still not
getting it right)

SELECT a,b FROM foo

would be ok, but beware the inserts, constraints, ...

> very often you will want/need database specifics.

At least in the cases where you need a RDBMS at all :-)