[Zope] Product installation

John Poltorak jp at warpix.org
Mon Nov 29 09:35:05 EST 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 01:35:07PM +0100, Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On Montag, 29. November 2004 12:26 Uhr +0000 John Poltorak
> <jp at warpix.org> wrote:
>
> > As I understand it, all that is required to install a product in Zope is
> > to extract the archive to the Products directory and restart Zope. This
> > is  what I have done in the past and then the product shows up under
> > /Control_Panel/Products. For some reason this does not happen with
> > PloneGuestbook on my installation of Zope 2.7.3 on Linux Redhat v7.3.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest why? Or where should I look to see any signs of
> > problems? No relevant msgs are to be found in the logs.
>
> a) check the message on the console when you start zope

To do this you need to start zope by running runzope. Doing a restart via
ZMI won't provide any information. A reasons for a failure to start don't
seem to show up in event.log either.

> b) check the file permissions of the installed product

I think it was a combination of permissions and ownership in this case.

> c) check if lib/python/Products/PRODUCTNAME *really* exists

I guess this should be a)  ;-)...

> d) ask the author of the corresponding product.

The author said he had had another report about it failing to install but
could not advise on what to do.

In the case I shoud have realised it was something Unix related as it
installed on OS/2 without any problems. But it's sorted out now.

--
John