[Zope] Which database?

Philip Kilner phil at xfr.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 03:42:47 EST 2004

Hi Jon,

Jonathan Cyr wrote:
> Gosh... Never Ever... I guess MySQL should close up shop...

Nope - they have a useful product, but it (the original, not the SAPdB
derivative) should not pretend to be an RDBMS. More than any other
product, these guys have confused the issue of what features are
required for a coherent RDBMS product. Their past lack of support for
referential integrity has been pretty scary on that front.

I appreciate not every one feels as strongly about this...

> Your question of Databases is actually quite personal to your project...
> What do you need?   Speed/Throughput, ease-of-use, help resources,
> deployment tools, robust SQL...

Yup.

> The nice thing about MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Firebird, is they are all
> avaiable to try out.   I like MySQL's minimalist approach for RDBMS, it
> fits the needs of a project of mine, and the damn thing screams.

I understand your PoV, but for me mySQL is way /too/ "minimalist" to
truly qualify as an RDBMS. Firebird gets my vote, although I have no
PostgresSQL experience.

> You should hit the MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc. mailing lists, and ask a few
> questions with your needs in mind.
>
> Spend some time outlining your needs, and you'll reap the benefits down
> the road...

Agreed, x2!

--

Regards,

PhilK

Email: phil at xfr.co.uk / Voicemail & Facsimile: 07092 070518

"Work as if you lived in the early days of a better nation." - Alasdair Gray