[Zope] strategies for using external py packages

Jim Abramson jabramson at wgen.net
Fri Oct 1 11:17:00 EDT 2004

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good resource, online docs, examples that
specifically deal with methods/best practices/caveats for using external
python code libs within Zope.

I have read the relevant chapters in Zope Book and done quite a bit of
googling but can't seem to find detailed material on this.  My situation
involves, on the one hand, a sizeable 'instance space' application, and
on the other, some python modules/packages that I need to teach the
instance-space stuff to use.  The instance app is too vast to
realistically rewrite as a zope Product all in one shot - therefore I'm
looking for a sane way to gradually add external functionality (and
later, offload existing functionality from instance -> external).  What
I'm most interested in is a discussion of External Methods vs. Products
as a means for doing this, memory and performance considerations, etc.
The external code should know nothing about Zope, ZODB etc - so I
suspect what I need to design is essentially some sort of proxy layer.
(If this isn't specific enough I can happily elaborate.)

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Jim